Monday, May 7, 2012

Everything in its season.


Even though it has been an odd spring with extraordinary weather I have still 
managed to wait until May to plant some of my garden. 
This past weekend was potatoes.  Katahdins.
I cut them on Friday night and planted on Sunday morning before
the black flies discovered I was out there.  The bed had been ready
for weeks because warm weather always makes me want to dig in the
dirt.  Some little voice was telling me not to plant to early, don't be deceived
into thinking that Spring had truly arrived just because the temperatures were
feeling like July.  So I waited.
The seeds for tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and winter squash were
planted weeks ago in their snug little peat pots.  They will go in on Memorial Day
just as they do every year.  It comes a little earlier this year than usual 
so it's nice that it has been so warm
It took me less than a half an hour to plant 20 pounds of potatoes - 3 rather long rows-
and I wondered as I was doing it why more people don't plant their own vegetables.
The potatoes you grow taste so much better than what you buy. Sometimes I wonder if it's 
just knowing that you grew them in your yard that makes them taste better but then again how
often do you get to eat any vegetable mere minutes from being picked?

No comments: